Digital Director for KMTV 3 News Now — October 2017.
- Execute/troubleshoot new KMTV website rollout.
- Work with corporate digital staff to troubleshoot/fix/improve digital platforms. Write/implement digital strategies — including live streaming on and posting to OTT, structured content posting, push alerts, and social media — for all local coverage, from breaking news to special events and reports.
- Monitor/report on digital analytics, adjusting strategies to increase key metrics.
- Monitor messages/comments made on branded social media accounts.
- Mentor station’s digital leaders and coach others struggling with digital progress.
- Post/edit/update news stories on the website, augmenting posts with interactives to increase reader engagement and maximize SEO.
Managing Real-Time Editor for KMTV 3 News Now — June 2017.
- Post/edit/update news stories on the KMTV website, augmenting web posts with interactives to increase quality and reader engagement and maximize SEO.
- Monitor and report on digital analytics, adjust strategies to increase key metrics.
- Monitor messages and comments made on branded social media accounts.
- Write/execute digital strategies for special projects coverage, like the 2017 Eclipse.
- Deploy reporters/photographers/MMJs to breaking news scenes and guide coverage.
- Talk with potential sources to determine whether a tip warrants further investigation or coverage. Interact with viewers via phone, email, or social messaging to answer questions, obtain news tips, or hear out opinions about our coverage.
- Assist producers with tracking down accurate/verifiable information on deadline.
Communications Specialist for the Omaha Conservatory of Music — August 2014.
- Manage deployment of new website, building out sections and writing/updating content for entire site.
- Initiate/manage organization’s use of Google Apps, including deployment and staff training.
- Manage, expand, and monitor analytics for branded social media accounts.
- Write official branded marketing emails, managing/segmenting an e-mailing database.
- Secure/manage advertising, conceptualizing campaigns and overseeing production.
- Conceptualize/write fundraising campaigns for web and social media.
- Art direct all marketing pieces; write copy and gathered imagery; and managed production, editing and publishing, seeking bids, and working with vendors.
- Create/maintain intranet.
- Write/edit press releases and other promotional copy.
- Serve as photographer, videographer, and IT/tech support, troubleshooting hardware, software, apps, and back-end management.
Emerging Platforms Director, managing mobile, social media and data projects for daily, breaking and enterprise coverage published across the Los Angeles News Group. — Fall 2013.
- Manage team responsible for mobile, social media, and interactive projects across nine newsrooms in the greater-Los Angeles area.
- Configure, monitor, and report on analytics for 27 mobile apps and 45 social media accounts, adjusting mobile and social strategies to align with newsroom and company goals.
- Work with regional and corporate leaders and developers to catalog and test integrations on mobile and online platforms.
- Assist mobile app developer with QA during branded app building, rollout, and troubleshooting.
- Maintain/analyze social media and push-alert schedules and strategies for daily, breaking, and enterprise news coverage.
- Train personnel in multiple newsrooms to administrate apps, including push-alerts; and on social media best practices.
- Work with developer from national team to conceptualize/QA large-scale data-viz project for local in-depth enterprise project.
News Digital Director for the Los Angeles News Group // L.A. Daily News, Daily Breeze, Long Beach Press-Telegram, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Pasadena Star-News, Whittier Daily News, San Bernardino Sun, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, Redlands Daily Facts — 2013.
- Managed digital workflows for web teams in multiple newsrooms during daily, breaking and enterprise news coverage.
- Expanded social media coverage and reach.
- Wrote and executed daily and enterprise social media strategies for 36 social media accounts.
- Deployed mobile push-alerts across company’s 27 mobile news apps.
- Developed digital-first breaking news workflows.
- Taught key personnel in three newsrooms to directly post content to their websites.
- Created and posted on branded social media accounts for three newsrooms.
- Led print design efforts for daily, breaking and enterprise news coverage.
- Managed graphics team.
- Designed and stylized high-profile projects and other high-impact coverage, including graphics.
- Created workflows, templates and best practices to streamline workloads of consolidated copy desk responsible for daily publication of two newspapers, which became the basis of workflows deployed during further copy desk consolidation that eventually covered the production of nine daily newspapers, including integration of graphics team onto copy desk.
Page Designer/Copy Editor // The Sun (San Bernardino, Calif.), 2003-2005 // The Desert Sun (Palm Springs, Calif.), 2000-2003 // Chronicle-Tribune (Marion, Ind.), 1999-2000
Accolades & Affiliations.
- Internal || LANG Ethics Committee member | LANG Futures Committee member | DFM ideaLab member
- Online News Association || 2012 Unconference volunteer
- Poynter Institute || 2009 Big Ideas/Best Practices conference presenter
- Society for News Design || 2006 Award of Excellence || Past California state leader for the Inland Empire
- SND Foundation || Received grants to attend SND Denver conference & web-design workshop taught by David Wright of npr.org and Tyson Evans of nytimes.com
- Wes Hughes Award
- Photo/video || Live & studio shooting | Editing & production | Promotional branding
- Writing/editing || Promotional copy | Social media posts | Website content | Press releases | Special projects
- Project management || On/off-site production management | Workflow development | Branding
- Print/news design || Copywriting | Editing | Book editing/production | Illustration
- Curation (past, present, present, present, ever-present, future)
- Social media || Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Snapchat | WordPress | Tumblr | Pinterest | Buffer | TweetDeck | HootSuite
- Web apps || MailChimp | Google apps | WordPress | TimelineJS | ScribbleLive | TweetChat
- CMS || ExpressionEngine | SquareSpace | Google Sites | Saxotech | NGPS Dashboard | HTML | XHTML
- Adobe || Photoshop | InDesign | Illustrator | Acrobat | Premiere | Lightroom
- Office apps || Google apps | Microsoft Office | OpenOffice
- Analytics || Google Analytics | Omniture | AppFigures