Managing Real-Time Editor for KMTV 3 News Now — June 2017.
- Post/edit/update news stories to the KMTV website.
- Write social posts for KMTV links.
- Write/executie digital plans for special projects coverage.
- Manage reporters and photographers, including deploying them to breaking news scenes and guiding coverage.
- Edit web content, including keywords, headlines, and other elements to maximize SEO.
- Augment web posts with interactives to increase reader engagement.
- Clip news broadcasts into smaller videos, and deploying in website posts.
- Monitor website and social media analytics in order to form tactics for increasing audience size and engagement.
- Talk with potential sources to determine whether a tip warrants further investigation or coverage.
- Talk with viewers via phone, email, or social messaging to answer questions, obtain news tips, or hear out opinions about our coverage.
- Assist producers with tracking down accurate/verifiable information on deadline.
- Cultivate professional relationships with contacts in the community in order to facilitate better communication between private and government entities and KMTV staff.
Communications Specialist for the Omaha Conservatory of Music — August 2014.
- Managed/assisted with deployment of new website.
- Initiated organization’s use of Google Apps, including deployment and staff training.
- Managed all official social media accounts, created new social media outlets for the Conservatory, and monitored analytics.
- Wrote and produced official branded marketing emails, managing/segmenting the Conservatory’s digital e-mailing database.
- Managed organization’s advertising, conceptualizing campaigns and overseeing production.
- Serving as organization’s photographer and videographer, editing photos and creating short video clips to promote programs and events.
- Wrote and conceptualized social media, email and advertising campaigns on request and in line with key local and national social media marketing events, such as #OmahaGives, and #GivingTuesday, seizing on other seasonal opportunities.
- Art directed main marketing pieces, writing copy, gathering imagery, overseeing production, editing and publishing, seeking bids and working with vendors.
- Created/maintained organization’s intranet.
- Wrote/edited press releases and other promotional copy.
- Served as IT/tech support, troubleshooting hardware, software, apps, and back-end management.
Emerging Platforms Director, managing mobile, social media and data projects for daily, breaking and enterprise coverage published across the Los Angeles News Group. — Fall 2013.
- Configured, monitored and reported on analytics for nearly 30 mobile apps and 45 social media accounts, adjusting mobile and social strategies in real-time to align with newsroom and company goals.
- Worked with regional and corporate leaders and developers to catalog and test web-app integrations on mobile and online platforms.
- Assisted mobile app developer with QA during app building, rollout and follow-up.
- Maintained and analyzed social media and push-alert schedules and strategies for daily, breaking and enterprise news coverage.
- Trained personnel in multiple newsrooms to administrate apps, including push-alerts; and on social media best practices.
- Worked with developer from national team to conceptualize/QA large-scale data-viz project for local in-depth enterprise project.
News Digital Director for the Los Angeles News Group // L.A. Daily News, Daily Breeze, Long Beach Press Telegram, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Pasadena Star-News, Whittier Daily News, San Bernardino Sun, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, Redlands Daily Facts — 2013.
- Managed digital workflows for web teams in multiple newsrooms during daily, breaking and enterprise news coverage.
- Expanded social media coverage and reach.
- Wrote and executed daily and enterprise social media strategies for 36 social media accounts.
- Deployed mobile push-alerts across company’s 27 mobile news apps.
- Developed digital-first breaking news workflows.
- Taught key personnel in three newsrooms to directly post content to their websites.
- Created and posted on branded social media accounts for three newsrooms.
- Led print design efforts for daily, breaking and enterprise news coverage.
- Managed graphics team.
- Designed and stylized high-profile projects and other high-impact coverage, including graphics.
- Created workflows, templates and best practices to streamline workloads of consolidated copy desk responsible for daily publication of two newspapers, which became the basis of workflows deployed during further copy desk consolidation that eventually covered the production of nine daily newspapers, including integration of graphics team onto copy desk.
Page Designer/Copy Editor // The Sun (San Bernardino, Calif.), 2003-2005 // The Desert Sun (Palm Springs, Calif.), 2000-2003 // Chronicle-Tribune (Marion, Ind.), 1999-2000
Accolades & Affiliations.
- Internal || LANG Ethics Committee member | LANG Futures Committee member | DFM ideaLab member
- Online News Association || 2012 Unconference volunteer
- Poynter Institute || 2009 Big Ideas/Best Practices conference presenter
- Society for News Design || 2006 Award of Excellence || Past California state leader for the Inland Empire
- SND Foundation || Received grants to attend SND Denver conference & web-design workshop taught by David Wright of npr.org and Tyson Evans of nytimes.com
- Wes Hughes Award
- Photo/video || Live & studio shooting | Editing & production | Promotional branding
- Writing/editing || Promotional copy | Social media posts | Website content | Press releases | Special projects
- Project management || On/off-site production management | Workflow development | Branding
- Print/news design || Copywriting | Editing | Book editing/production | Illustration
- Curation (past, present, present, present, ever-present, future)
- Social media || Twitter | Storify | WordPress | G+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | Facebook | FourSquare | about.me | Buffer | TweetDeck | HootSuite
- Web apps || MailChimp | Google apps | WordPress | TimelineJS | ScribbleLive | TweetChat
- CMS || ExpressionEngine | SquareSpace | Google Sites | Saxotech | NGPS Dashboard | HTML | XHTML
- Adobe || Photoshop | InDesign | Illustrator | Acrobat | Premiere | Lightroom
- Office apps || Google apps | Microsoft Office | OpenOffice